Gentry Law Firm LLC
Call Today for a Free Initial Consultation
770-884-4171 888-365-5983

Marietta’s Pre-Eminent Family Law Firm

Complex Legal Issues Deserve Bold, Intelligent Representation

Call for A Free consultation

I can no longer make my child support payments. What should I do?

Child support orders are made based on a number of factors affecting the lives of a divorced couple. Both parties may not always believe that the child support order is fair, but it is ultimately up to the discretion of the court in most of these cases, and the courts tend to do what they believe is best for the child. At the same time, it’s important to remember that the order is determined based on factors at the time of divorce, meaning that the support order, much like the factors of life, is subject to change.

If changing circumstances make it so that you can no longer make your child support payments, know that your child support order can be changed to reflect these new circumstances. However, the modification will only occur if you bring the case before the courts and successfully prove that the previous payments are no longer feasible.

Consider if you lose your job or you suffer a serious injury that prevents you from earning wages. Obviously you will no longer be able to make the same child support payments you could when you were regularly working. As far as the law is concerned, even if you have lost your job, you are still obligated to make your child support payments, which is why it is imperative that you act quickly when your circumstances change.

Unless and until the child support order is modified, you must continue to make your payments as best you can. However, the sooner you meet with your former spouse and consult an attorney to help you with the aspects of your case, the sooner you can change your child support payments to better reflect your new circumstances. For more information on the steps you can take to modify your child support order, click here.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call Us When You Need Outstanding Legal Representation

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gentry Law Firm LLC

Office Location

Gentry Law Firm LLC
506 Roswell Street NE
Suite 240
Marietta, GA 30060

Toll Free: 888-365-5983
Phone: 770-884-4171
Fax: 770-422-1347
Marietta Law Office Map