If you are a single parent in Marietta and your former spouse is no longer paying the court-ordered child support, what do you do? A judge ordered him or her to pay you to help cover the costs of raising your children and his or her inability or lack of desire to pay is forcing you to figure out ways to afford all of the things your children need. Oftentimes, that means sacrificing one thing for another, weighing what are the most important things your children need.

A failure to pay child support is a very serious affair and one that often needs the help of an experienced child support attorney to help collect the money that is owed to you. There are many options available, and sometimes a multi-pronged approach is the best way to get the money due. One man found out that the failure to pay child support would lead to an arrest.

The father has had some issue paying his child support and currently has $110,823 in child support arrears. It is still unknown if that is child support that he has not paid for many years, if he has multiple children, or both. Regardless, he has racked up quite the bill and out-of-state authorities decided to take measures into their own hands by arresting him recently.

Sadly, in this man’s state, he is not alone in owing such a large amount of money. There are 2,223 individuals who owe more than $100,000 and there is a total of $226 million in unpaid child support. Although the data for Georgia is not readily available, it can only be presumed that the figure is comparable. The point, however, is that there are a large number of children who are in desperate need of financial support that are not receiving it.

Source: The Express-Times, “Man arrested in Phillipsburg for allegedly owing more than $110,000 in child support,” Kathryn Brenzel, March 18, 2013

Find out more about child support in Marietta by visiting our website.