You’ve been through a divorce and are finally getting your and your children’s lives settled in a new single-parent household, but the child support payment that the Georgia family law court ordered your ex to pay each month hasn’t shown up. This unfortunate situation is a common occurrence across Marietta and Georgia, with only 41.2 percent of custodial parents being paid the full amount of child support owed in 2009. When most parents divorce, the non-custodial parent must pay child support, but a new report indicates that many custodial parents are not receiving as much support as they should be.

The 2009 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau report show a decline in the number of parents actually getting their full support payments. In 2007, 46.8 percent of custodial parents received a full support award. It is unknown how low that figure has dropped from the 2009 low.

Of the $35.1 billion that custodial parents expected to receive in 2009, only $21.4 billion was actually paid. What makes these figures even more disturbing, however, is that over one-quarter of the single-parent households in America are below the poverty level. The economic recession has also pushed more single mothers and fathers into poverty, as well. There has been a nearly 5 percent increase in single-parent households below the poverty line from 2001 to 2009.

What do you do if your ex refuses to pay his court-ordered child support? A family law attorney can file motions that will compel the delinquent father or mother to make his or her payments. Another option is to request a wage garnishment, meaning the court will order your ex-husband or ex-wife’s employer to pay a certain amount of his or her paycheck directly to you.

Source: Main street, “Parents Finding It Harder to Get Full Child Support Payments,” Kristin Colella, Dec. 7, 2011