Gentry Law Firm LLC
Call Today for a Free Initial Consultation
770-884-4171 888-365-5983

Marietta’s Pre-Eminent Family Law Firm

Complex Legal Issues Deserve Bold, Intelligent Representation

Call for A Free consultation

Single parents getting short-changed on child support payments

You've been through a divorce and are finally getting your and your children's lives settled in a new single-parent household, but the child support payment that the Georgia family law court ordered your ex to pay each month hasn't shown up. This unfortunate situation is a common occurrence across Marietta and Georgia, with only 41.2 percent of custodial parents being paid the full amount of child support owed in 2009. When most parents divorce, the non-custodial parent must pay child support, but a new report indicates that many custodial parents are not receiving as much support as they should be.

The 2009 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau report show a decline in the number of parents actually getting their full support payments. In 2007, 46.8 percent of custodial parents received a full support award. It is unknown how low that figure has dropped from the 2009 low.

Of the $35.1 billion that custodial parents expected to receive in 2009, only $21.4 billion was actually paid. What makes these figures even more disturbing, however, is that over one-quarter of the single-parent households in America are below the poverty level. The economic recession has also pushed more single mothers and fathers into poverty, as well. There has been a nearly 5 percent increase in single-parent households below the poverty line from 2001 to 2009.

What do you do if your ex refuses to pay his court-ordered child support? A family law attorney can file motions that will compel the delinquent father or mother to make his or her payments. Another option is to request a wage garnishment, meaning the court will order your ex-husband or ex-wife's employer to pay a certain amount of his or her paycheck directly to you.

Source: Main street, "Parents Finding It Harder to Get Full Child Support Payments," Kristin Colella, Dec. 7, 2011

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call Us When You Need Outstanding Legal Representation

Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gentry Law Firm LLC

Office Location

Gentry Law Firm LLC
506 Roswell Street NE
Suite 240
Marietta, GA 30060

Toll Free: 888-365-5983
Phone: 770-884-4171
Fax: 770-422-1347
Marietta Law Office Map